How to Register for Self-Assessment

Investor with capital gains or miscellaneous income

If you don’t already file a Tax Return, you need to notify HMRC that you have income or capital gains to report by 5 October after the end of the tax year. For the tax year ended 5 April 2022, the deadline for registration is 5 October 2022.

You can register at this link...

HMRC will issue you with a Notice to File a Tax Return and you should chase this if it is not received.

Financial Trading in Cryptoassets

If you are engaged in financial trading in cryptoassets, you can register your cryptoassets trading business with HMRC at the following link, but it is recommended to seek the advice of a qualified tax professional first.

You need to register a business with HMRC by the 5 October after the end of the first tax year in business. Tax years run from 6 April to 5 April.

For example, if you started trading 8 April 2021, your first tax return will be for the year ended 5 April 2022 and you need to register with HMRC by 5 October 2022 to avoid penalties.

Last updated